Friday, September 10, 2010

In case you didn't know the NFL is back


So tonight the NFL "kicked off" its season, with what was honestly not a very good game.

Brett Favre looked... well like he skipped all training camp. No timing, no chemistry, really he didn't even look confident during the entire game. In fact, I sort of expected him to quit at half time. Just kidding, Brett's a warrior, he deserves better than that.

I'm sure by Sunday I'll flood this blog with a ton of ridiculous football-nerd jargon, especially regarding my Raiders, but tonight I have to ask you all a question.

What do you stylish folks think of the massive amount of football fans wearing their team's jerseys?

Every Sunday, in bars, at house parties, and in stadiums you'll find a whole hell of a lot of people sporting the jersey of their favorite team/player. I'd have to say like 60% of all fans at a stadium wear jerseys. Almost none of which are people I would consider to be stylish or fashionable.

Most of them are wearing stuff they think is cool, or that they're supposed to wear. I doubt that any of them are actually wearing anything that they feel truly expresses themselves as a person.

Of course the the argument could be made that wearing a jersey is indeed expressing something about you. It could be said that wearing your team's jersey expresses your support for your team. But you could also say, "Isn't that what cheering is for?"

I'm not sure about the answer to that question just yet, but I--being the extreme lover of football that I am--am not going to criticize any fellow fan wearing a jersey on Sunday. Actually, I love that fans are so passionate about their teams. And that they feel like they have to support them by wearing the team's uniform. It's may seem silly, but in a way its sort of noble.

Which leads me to this: can you make a jersey stylish or fashionable?

My initial gut instinct? No.

However, I've been giving it a lot of thought lately, and maybe there are some ways in which you can make a jersey look like you are wearing it, and not like it is wearing you.

Or even just that you care more about personal style than the average football fan.

What do you guys think? Any ideas? (By the way, in case you were wondering, I do own a jersey. It's a vintage 1987 Bo Jackson Raiders jersey that my dad got me some years ago for a Christmas gift.)

No comments:

Post a Comment