Thursday, August 26, 2010

The appeal of football


I was scanning the internet today when I came across these pics (all but one are from Sports Illustrated).

Every year, around this time, the entire nation is "gearing" up for the start of what has become one of America's greatest traditions--football season!

From late August, to the first week in February, millions of Americans are engulfed in the religious fervor that is fandom.

I'm a fan, I definitely know what it feels like to cheer with religious like zeal. Fandom is great, it gives many of us a respite from our daily monotony.

But the fan experience is not why I love football, and will forever be connected to it.

I grew up surrounded by this game. My dad coached, his friends coached, and my friends played on my teams.

To me, football isn't about smashing heads, being tough, or--in its most basic sense--fucking somebody up.

It's about relationships.

I'll always think about football as a way to connect with people.

There is no feeling like being on a team working together, suffering together, laughing together, and then ultimately succeeding or failing together. Football is a game of passion, of emotion, and the bonding experience; the sharing of achievement and failure amongst others with whom you can call call brothers is irreplaceable.

The game will always be apart of my being, because there is true beauty in a diverse group of individuals becoming one to achieve something special.



Jerry Rice proving that you gotta look good to play good.


The graceful Gale Sayers.


Prime Time vs The Playmaker


The legendary Jim Brown


Brady and Manning, two of the greatest of all-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment