Monday, October 4, 2010

Writers need to have "experiences" right?


A professional travel writer once told me, "to be a writer you can't be afraid to do things by yourself."

Unfortunately, I'm only okay with doing certain things by myself. Eating, sleeping, walking to the store, shopping, working out, etc... But I usually don't do things like go to the movies alone, or shows, or anything like that.

On Sunday, I decided--and somewhat necessarily--to go solo, and try like hell to sneak into the Arcade Fire show at UC Berkeley's Greek Theater.

Did I get in?

No.

I did however manage to find a nice hill top, with a decent view, and a great ear-shot of the show.

Of course Arcade Fire sounded majestic, and their passion was palpable even to us in the "cheap seats." And though I still do want to "see" Arcade Fire belt out their ravenous voices of musical odysseys, I must say I came away from my solo experience with a smile, and a greater appreciation for my fellow man.

It was refreshing to sit on a dusty hill top, with two-hundred strangers freezing our asses off, but smiling, singing, bobbing our heads, tapping our feet and enjoying each other's company.

And even though we weren't overcome with the fervor that those inside the venue were--when we sensed the end of the show was near--we moved to the edge of the boundary that we could not cross, and anticipated the opening riff of "Wake Up," so that we could let Win know that we were with him in spirit.

Then it came, and we sang.

And together, the masses inside--and us the small mass outside--joined in unison and we all became the children whose bodies have indeed gotten bigger, but with hearts that have been torn up.

So thank you Berkeleyites and strangers. For once, my lightning bolts are glowing, and I can see where I am going.


Not from AF's performance at the Greek. This is from Glastonbury in '07, but it's the best video I've ever seen of them performing this song. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment