Thursday, November 18, 2010

Southern roots and secret cooking abilities




Not necessarily by blood, but I think I'm the only Korean who has roots to the South.

My grandpa was a Texan, and my grandma came over Grapes of Wrath style during the Dust Bowl.

Her great grandpa was CSS Col. John S. Mosby, "The Grey Ghost," who served under J.E.B. Stuart during the Civil War.

How ironic that a South Korean kid is related to a Confederate war hero.

Anyway, I grew up learning to love artery clogging southern style foods such as fried chicken. Normally, I don't eat this kind of stuff. (Okay "normally" means not during the week, when you're out on the weekends it's sort of hard to say no to something that sounds amazing right? )

Well today didn't feel like normally, and I decided to use the cooking skills that nobody knows I have and make homemade, from scratch, fried chicken.

If you're some sort of fried chicken affectionado, and you're lamenting the fact that I used boneless tenderloins instead of whole chicken pieces you can kiss my ass, because I'm poor as hell and this is what was in the freezer--besides it's healthier. Also, cooking is not something that I particularly love to do. Hell I'd probably prefer to just buy a 2 piece meal at KFC or Popeye's to be honest, but that's not really in the budget nowadays so to the stove I went.

The recipe is a secret that I came up with, because apparently this type of cooking inherently runs deep in my adopted country ass roots, but I will say the meal was worth the effort. Yes, it was better than KFC and Popeye's, at least the chicken was, biscuits would've been nice though. But with no biscuit option, I paired it with the poor southern man's side of buttered wheat bread slices, and an Arizona peach iced tea.

It went down well. Very well.

Maybe I'll start cooking more.

And maybe someday I'll divulge to you guys the reasons why I really don't like to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment